May 8, 2014

what they say

I have health insurance.  I pay 6k a month for it, or maybe I pay $250.  Whatever, it feels like 6k.  My insurance covers nothing, everything costs a fortune.  I really need to sort through this mess but it's tough to do when I wake up at 3 everyday. I  only have a few hours left in real world time and it takes me that long to get going.

And that was my day today, wake up at 3 and fret about insurance.  Hit up Starbucks, buy a Mother's Day card, come home and wash towels.

I'm really reaching for something to write.  

Poker.  Hmm.  I was in a pot and on the river my opponent says "I missed, 6 high."  I turned over top pair and he was still holding onto his cards.  He then threw them towards the muck face up and one card landed under the board cards and one card was visible, a 6.  The dealer mucked his cards and pushed me the pot.  Simultaneously the guy says, "I missed my straight I had 5 6."  Someone then told him that 5 6 made a straight.  The guy basically, obviously had a straight but I didn't see both cards (someone else at the table claimed to have.).  He called the floor and they went to the camera and surveillance saw a 5.  So I saw a 6, surveillance saw a 5 and some other player saw 5 6.  I didn't offer the guy the pot or 1/2 of it or anything.  I kept it.  Everyone I've asked about it said they'd do the same but I'm not sure it was the right move really.  That's this week's poker highlight.  Feel free to comment below.  (Should I write that?  Now if no one comments I'm going to feel weird and it might be awkward between us.)

Shout out to Danzig because not only is this song great but the video is as well. 



2 comments:

  1. I saw his 65 in real time. I think the dealer screwed up and failed to read the hands corrrecly although I don't know if there were some weird circumstances like the cards were face down first or he said "I fold" or what. All I know is I saw 65 (both cards) face up on the table and it made a straight (the nuts even I think). My guess is the floor who reviewed the tape wanted to rule in your favor, either because it was easier or perhaps personal reasons. The kicker was that the play was not stopped for the review, and since play continued his complaint was invalid. My guess is the "We only saw a 5" thing was a smokescreen. So I think the end justified the means, as far as his ruling was. He couldn't change it, so he muddled the facts just enough to make the decision seem sound. Just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous13:29

    1. Guy should know what makes a straight and be able to read the board.
    2. He chucked his cards in as if mucking them face up or not. No one with a winning hand throws them face up like that.
    3. The guy who told him it was a straight should shut up and play his own hands.
    Keep the whole pot. You did not do anything wrong. He can learn from his mistake.

    ReplyDelete